It’s no secret that I’m head over heels in love with Malibu Farm Cafe and Restaurant. A meal at the Malibu Pier is my definition of paradise.
Thankfully, a lot of the recipes are documented in The Malibu Farm Cookbook. The book was recently reprinted, due to its popularity.
The book provides a look at Helene Henderson’s life and the evolution from caterer to farmer to dinner host to private chef to restaurant owner. The food style is local, fresh, and laid back.
One of my favorite breakfast dishes at Malibu Farm Cafe are the Swedish Mini Pancakes with Cream and Berries. You can make these little pancakes in any skillet, but this silver dollar pancake skillet makes it even easier.
Swedish Mini Pancakes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- whipped cream and berries for serving
- strawberry sauce for serving, recipe below
- Add eggs, flour, sugar, milk, and butter to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat mini pancake skillet, or regular skillet, and brush with butter.
- Pour batter to make pancakes, flip once the start to turn brown at the edges.
- Serve with strawberry sauce, whipped cream and berries.
My Recipe for Strawberry Sauce
This strawberry sauce is not included in the cookbook, but the mini pancakes were served with strawberry sauce at the restaurant. This is my attempt at recreating the sauce.
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Cook strawberries until they are barely tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove strawberries with a slotted spoon and pass through a food mill. You could also do a few quick pulses in a food processor.
- Continue simmering the liquid in the saucepan until it is the thickness of syrup keeping it mind that it will be thicker once it cools.
- Combine the syrup and the strawberry purée.
Disclosure: I received a copy of Malibu Farm Cookbook for review purposes. I was not compensated for writing this post. All views are my own.