Brioche is delicious, but when it starts getting dry it needs a little help. Normally I would make French toast but I thought that this time I would go one step up and go for Monte Cristo sandwiches. They are creamy and fluffy like French toast, but they have the added advantage of carrying a savory filling of roasted turkey breast and gooey Swiss cheese. It cannot be any simpler to put them together. These make for an easy and delicious dinner.
• 2 extra-large eggs
• ½ cup half and half or milk
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• Pinch of salt
• 4 slices brioche, or any other sliced bread
• 4 slices roasted turkey
• 4 slices Swiss cheese
• 2 tablespoons butter
• Strawberry preserves and maple syrup for serving
1. In a shallow bowl, mix the eggs, half and half, vanilla extract and salt until you have a homogeneous mixture.
2. Heat a skillet on medium high heat and once it gets hot add 1 tablespoon of butter.
3. Dip each slice of brioche into the egg mixture making sure to cover each side well.
4. Place the slices on the skillet and brown on each side. Add more butter if needed.
5. Build the sandwiches: put 2 slices of turkey and 2 slices of cheese between 2 slices of the brioche. Return sandwiches to skillet over low heat and cover with lid. The sandwiches are ready once the cheese melts. Slice and serve with strawberry preserves and maple syrup.
Delicious, tengo rato de no comerlo así que mejor que hacerlo yo misma. te felicito cada día te superas mas en tus recetas
Gracias Gio! Me recuerda al Boulevard y a Del Prado!
El mejor MonteCristo era el del Hotel Panamá cuando existia la
cafeteria El Patio
Seguro. Busco la receta de esta cosa magnifica del Hotel El Panama en la Republica, si hay. Gracias
I really enjoy this type of sandwich.