I had leftover shredded pork, chipotles in adobo, and corn tortillas in my fridge that I needed to use up. I could not help but think: tacos! Tacos are single serving packages of joy. Mini tacos are even more fun to eat and the perfect size to share! If you purchase ready to serve shredded pork (or chicken or beef) and round tortilla chips at the store, you could throw this dish together in a few minutes. These are great as appetizers, and go well with ice-cold beer.
Mini Pulled Pork Tacos
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
• 4 corn tortillas, cut into 16 rounds with a 1-7/8 inch round cutter (or a bag of round corn tortilla chips)
• ½ cup sour cream
• 1 or 2 chipotles in adobo, seeded and finely chopped (depending on how spicy you want your sauce to be)
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• Zest of ½ lime
• Sliced Monterrey Jack cheese, cut into 16 rounds with a 1 ½ round cutter (or shredded)
• 1 ½ cup shredded pork (or rotisserie chicken)
• canola oil for frying
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Green onions, thinly sliced
1. In a skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil, add the onions. Season with salt and pepper, and add a pinch of sugar. Cook the onions on low heat until caramelized. When they are done set them aside.
2. Prepare the sauce: combine the sour cream, chipotles in adobo, lime juice, and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, pour enough canola oil to have about ¼ inch in the bottom. Set the skillet on medium-high heat. Fry the tortilla rounds until light golden brown. About 1 minute. Sprinkle the rounds with salt once you take them out of the oil. Let them drain on paper towels.
4. Build the taco: place a fried tortilla round, a round of cheese, about 1 tablespoon warm shredded pork, about 1 teaspoon caramelized onions, sauce, and sprinkle with green onions.
5. You can build these ahead of time, but do not add the sauce or green onions. Warm them in a 375 pre-heated oven for 5 minutes or microwave for 30 seconds, or until the cheese melts. Then pour sauce over them and sprinkle with green onions. Makes 16 mini tacos.