I can hardly believe that it has been 5 years since I started this blog with a simple, and poorly photographed, recipe for granola. To my defense, it’s delicious and I still make it exactly as I made it then.
I started the blog to share my recipes with family and friends. Also, I was bored out of my mind during the 2010 snowmageddon! I’ve met some wonderful people through my blog and through social media, and developed close friendships.
I wanted to do a special giveaway for readers of the blog. One of the kitchen items that I’ve been using a lot lately is the Baking Steel. The boyfriend got it for me as a Christmas gift, and boy is he happy he did! I’ve been obsessed with it, making all kinds of pizza: NY style pepperoni pizza, a simple Neapolitan style pizza, thin crust pizza, cheesy garlic bread… I can’t stop.
The great news is that Baking Steel has kindly agreed to provide a Baking Steel to one lucky reader! Baking Steel started as a Kickstarter project. The concept is a simple one, the steel is a better conductor of heat, producing a better crust, and creating better oven spring for baked goods such as bread. The resulting crust is a thing of beauty.
In order to be eligible to win:
- Leave a comment below telling me what is your favorite pizza combination.
- Optional: Follow me and follow Baking Steel on instagram.
- You must have a contiguous US address for shipping of the product in case you win.
- If you are one of those people who has social media accounts only to enter giveaways, you will be disqualified. This is not an opportunity for you to go resell something on ebay.
I will randomly pick a winner on February 14th. Now I leave you with a recipe for my latest obsession: breakfast pizza. Thank you for visiting my blog and for following along for the past 5 years!
- 1 ball of pizza dough, about 8 ounces, store bought or home-made (this is my favorite crust right now)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 small maple breakfast sausage links, casings removed, cooked and crumbled or cooked whole and cut into pieces
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives or finely chopped parsley
- a few drops of truffle oil (optional)
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator 1 hour prior to using. Pre-heat Baking Steel in the oven according to manufacturer’s directions. Place the mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese in a small container and freeze while you are pre-heating the oven.
- Stretch dough to a 9 inch circle, making the edges a bit thicker than the rest. Place on a pizza peel sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle mozzarella and cheddar evenly on the dough. Top with the crumbled sausage, sliced boiled eggs, and bell pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Tip on your baking steel and cook for about 10-12 minutes, rotating the pizza once halfway through cooking time. Remove the pizza from the oven, and sprinkle with chives and truffle oil if using.
Note: If you don’t have a Baking Steel (yet) or a pizza stone, you can pre-heat a cookie sheet in the oven at 500F degrees for about 15 minutes. Make sure to place the cookie sheet upside down in the oven. Prepare your dough on parchment paper, and slide the parchment paper with the pizza onto the pre-heated cookie sheet. Cook 12-15 minutes at 450F. The crust won’t be as crispy and crunchy, but it will still be delicious.
**Update** 2/14/15 The winner of the Baking Steel is Kaoru!