I never liked dark meat growing up. I would only eat white meat. My freshman year in college a friend invited me over for dinner. When I realized that our dinner would be chicken drumsticks, I knew I could not possibly say to my host that I didn’t eat dark meat. I was served what looked like tender and juicy chicken drumsticks seasoned with lots of lemon pepper seasoning over Japanese rice. I took my first bite very carefully. Then I took a second bite. The chicken was buttery, tender and juicy. And I liked it! I could not believe that I had refused to eat chicken drumsticks for so many years. I cannot tell you how many times I made that recipe during college.
When I received a box of Just Bare Chicken samples, and I saw the beautiful chicken drumsticks in the insulated box I knew I had to make that recipe.
I was excited to receive samples of Just Bare Chicken and write about it on my blog because I think they are doing something right. Their website states:
Just BARE Chicken was recently endorsed by the American Humane Association™. You’ve always been able to trace our chicken back to family farms. Now it’s humane certified. Always all natural. Cage free. Vegetable and grain fed. Never given hormones, antibiotics or animal by-products. Never ever.
I think it is important to support companies that try to do the right thing. Hopefully, at some point in the future, all chicken in the United States will be raised humanely. I still think that it is best to purchase chicken from local farms. But honestly, it is expensive, and not always convenient. What is great is that I can find Just Bare Chicken at area Target stores. I can get it somewhere that is convenient for me, and still feel good about the product I buy. And most importantly, it tastes great, the way fresh chicken should taste.
Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks with Parmesan and Oregano Artichokes
• 1 cup short grain rice
• 8 chicken drumsticks
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
• 2 cans artichoke hearts
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ½ teaspoon dry oregano
• ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
• Salt and pepper
1. Rinse rice, place in a medium saucepan with 1¾ cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon olive oil and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Cover, and cook on medium low heat for about 20 minutes. Or follow instructions on package.
2. Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Dry the chicken with paper towels and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle the chicken with 2 teaspoons olive oil, and season with lemon pepper seasoning and salt. Bake for about 20 minutes or until temperature reaches 160°F. Brush the chicken with extra olive oil, and place under the broiler for an additional 2-5 minutes until golden brown.
3. Cut artichoke hearts in half and dry with paper towels. In a large oven safe skillet, place 2 tablespoons olive oil and turn heat to high. When the oil is very hot, add the artichokes. Cook until brown, then flip and brown on the other side. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, and ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
4. Serve chicken with rice and artichokes. Yields 4 servings.
Disclosure: Just Bare Chicken sent three of their products for me to try. I was not compensated for this post. Opinions are my own.